Monday, September 13, 2010

La Mia Vita Italiana

Arriving in Sansepolcro was a journey. After the airport, plane, bus ride and finally the trek two blocks to the palazzo, I was extremely excited to arrive. The calm but vibrant feel of Sansepolcro contrasted against the quick taste of the hustle and bustle of Rome. The town life in Sansepolcro was immediately evident. We were first greeted by Sara Andreini, Dr. Webb, and John Rose. Shortly after we were greeted again by a friend of Dr. Webb and John Rose; she offered everyone in the group a cookie, while welcoming us to Sansepolcro. From that point on I have seen again and again the kind and friendly nature of most of the residents of Sansepolcro. Although Sansepolcro is extremely small compared to many other cities in Italy, I actually enjoy the close knit feeling that is extremely similar to that of Meredith College’s campus. In such a short amount of time I already feel at home here in the Palazzo Alberti.

At around ten at night the streets begin to fill up with people taking an evening walk. Parents walk with their children, and most shocking they are not eager to put them to bed as soon as it gets dark. When I first heard a young child out in the streets with his parents I was thoroughly surprised that parents would keep their children out so late. Babies are pushed around in strollers, toddlers walk alongside their parents and children about four years old and up ride their bikes all around the town. Most of the people I have seen in the town have children, and it is refreshing to see parents spend so much time with them. The parents get to enjoy an espresso in the evening and the company of their friends and neighbors while the children play. I soon came to realize that the children fit into the flow of the town. A walk down to the piazza would not be the same without the chatter of children. There is hardly a time where a child cannot be seen or heard playing outside. Once school starts in a few short weeks their presence will be sorely missed.

Something else I have observed in Sansepolcro, and I expect is characteristic of much of Italy is the process of buying food, and the friendly service you receive. A purchase in a café or restaurant might not be paid for until you have finished and thoroughly enjoyed your cappuccino and bomboloni (an Italian doughnut). I first experienced this in Gerasmo’s café right across from the palazzo. The owner of the café, Fabrizio, takes a moment to talk to you as you pay for the food. On the first morning in Sansepolcro he taught me all the types of juice in Italian so that I could better understand what I was ordering. Even at the Goblin Gelato shop the two girls who worked there converse with us, and try to interpret our broken - and often mixed with Spanish- Italian. They also help teach us new words and phrases while we order our gelato.
In the United States there seems to be a different level of trust regarding money transactions. You are required to pay for your food before it is prepared and served. This has been interesting to adjust to since arriving here in Italy. It has been so deeply ingrained in my culture to not eat the food until it has been paid for that I have had to change my mentality. At first I was afraid that I would offend the shop owner if I was to eat or drink before I had paid. Now it seems completely normal to order a cappuccino and drink it before I pay. The only trouble that might arise with this easy going attitude is readjusting to buying food back in the United States.



Most of all I have loved using my Italian lessons from class with the people of Sansepolcro. Just today I was finally able to understand how much I owed for my groceries at the PAM, a local grocery store, without looking clueless, having the cashier print out the receipt, and then point to the amount owed. This small accomplishment left me feeling proud and ready to take on the world. Even after this short time here in Sansepolcro I am thrilled for everything I will experience and learn in the next three months. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment