Thursday, October 21, 2010

"God gave the angels wings, and he gave humans chocolate." – Anonymous

Travel Journal 7, October 16th 2010

I have always considered myself a lover of chocolate. Pictures from my first birthday show me with dark chocolate cake smeared all over my face and a huge grin. So you could say I started early. From the three layer chocolate cake my mother makes from scratch for my birthday (she still does to this day), to my homemade dark chocolate ice cream, I have tried it all, and loved most of it. I am not a huge fan of milk chocolate (all the milk and sugar masks the true flavor and aroma of pure cacao), but I have tried the combination of chocolate and bacon. In my opinion, trying new and often odd combinations makes up for my mild dislike of milk chocolate. If there was one food I could not live without (there are many) chocolate would be high on my list. The idea of a chocolate festival had my mouth watering and my taste buds tingling. I practically drooled when I found out my weekend excursion would take me to the chocolate festival. Forget love-- I'd rather fall in chocolate.


On Saturday I attended the 17th annual Eurochocolate festival in Perugia. I was informed that between fifty and one hundred thousand people were expected to attend. In other words, watch your purse! This was almost as difficult as picking out what chocolate I wanted to buy; my mind was focused solely on my stomach and not my belongings. The chocolate was a huge distraction, but I was lucky and escaped with several types of chocolate as well as my purse. The festival is two weekends long and dedicated to chocolate (or the sweet food of the gods). Eurochocolate was established in 1994, and today is the most attended event in Italy relating to just chocolate. The festival showcases not only the various types of chocolate, but also the city of Perugia. Perugia, the Capital of Umbria, is a city well known for its Etruscan monuments, other historic buildings, and Universities. Perugia was an Etruscan settlement, but latter was under Roman influence. Etruscan, is the civilization of the Tuscan region of Italy that dates to prehistoric times. Etruscan settlements lasted until the founding of Rome. Etruscans were known for their use of metal and their wide influence on Italy. Their settlements are characterized by thick walls, and were placed on hill sides. To reach the center of the city, where Eurochocolate was located, I passed through a series of large walls. The main part of Perugia was situated looking out over the valley below. The parts of the ancient city wall were visible in the building where I used the escalator to ascend to the center of the city. The escalator opened up into a cavernous space full of arches and small side rooms that reminded me of the cellars in the Ducal Palace in Urbino. The character of Perugia, and the smell of fresh chocolate created the perfect blustery morning, ideal for gorging on chocolate. What could be better that Italy and chocolate? In my opinion nothing; this was the epitome of my life, that is until I go to Rome.

Stepping into the bustle of the festival was similar to the current in the ocean; you moved with the crowd. The whole time my nose was on overdrive. The steaming hot chocolate, warm crepes, and freshly molded chocolate had the most intoxicating scent. Everything smelled and looked wonderful, making it extremely difficult to narrow down my choices. The street performers, men dressed up like chocolate bars, living statues, and the diverse crowds, were fascinating. The whole experience was similar to a specialized North Carolina State Fair. Ironically the State Fair started on the same weekend. After much deliberation I decided on dark chocolate covered orange peels, a milk chocolate covered orange slice, dark chocolate covered pear, chocolate lavender bar, dark chocolate and coffee bar, chocolate with raspberries, and two types of chocolate truffles. The girls and I also picked up some truffles for Fabrizio (the café owner), and my Italian Professor. We thought that since they have been very kind, and patient with us, we could show our gratitude. The choices of chocolate were endless. There was a whole stand devoted solely to chocolate for dogs, and a “chocolate kebab stall”. The chocolate kebab stall sold sweet bread filled with chocolate shavings, similar to the meat kebab shavings here in Sansepolcro, topped with whipped cream. A chocolate kebab was a completely new idea to me, and struck me with the same interest as fried coke and cheeseburgers do at the State Fair. I thought it was inventive, but that I would only be able to eat a few bites. Chocolate was also found in every shape. There were giant chocolate bunnies, birds, soccer balls, iPods, keys, tool kits, and horseshoes. The festival had chocolate in every shape, size, flavor, and food group.
After some other sustenance, in the form of pizza, I was refreshed and ready for more chocolate. I found it extremely interesting to look where the chocolate made. My chocolate bars were from Torino. Besides the smaller chocolatiers, Lindt, Milka, and Bachi were all present. Milka chocolate even had a small Ferris wheel. Bachi chocolate is a chocolate made in Perugia, so it was fitting that Bachi would have a large tent. The contrast between the large corporations and the smaller chocolate tents was an interesting phenomenon that I enjoyed. Even though large, popular, brand name chocolate companies were present I did not see any booth being favored over any other by the excited crowds.

I feel lucky every day to be in Italy having amazing opportunities. Eurochocolate was a once in a lifetime opportunity that I could not pass up. Where else can I eat chocolate covered pear, a nutella crepe, churos with chocolate, and a lavender chocolate bar? My answer is simple, Eurochocolate! I am a Meredith Angel and thus I have both the gift of wings and chocolate. In this situation I was able to have my cake and eat it too, or should I say chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment