Sunday, December 5, 2010

Goodbye Sansepolcro.......

Wow, how did my last weekend in Sansepolcro come so fast? It seems only a few days ago I arrived jet-lagged not knowing how to say anything in Italian. All I can say is it has been an amazing ride that I wouldn’t change for anything! I feel so lucky to have been in Italy for an entire semester with a group of remarkable girls in a town I now consider to be my second home. Between learning Italian, taking walks through the country, eating, meeting new people, and lots and lots of studying I have felt completely immersed in Italy. This semester has changed me in so many ways, and some I don’t even know. My friendships have officially been carved in stone and I would do anything for my girls. Putting them on a bus at three in the morning and watching it drive away actually felt like part of my heart was leaving.

After my Italian final on Friday I was finished with all of my work for the semester and it felt amazing! We kicked off our last weekend with our last trip to Scorpione, the local discoteca. Saturday commenced with a cleaning of the palazzo and the worst part of all was attempting to fit three months of belongings into one suitcase; I finally succeeded by sitting on mine. Our last group outing was a lunch out in Sansepolcro, that included a trip down memory lane and tears. I had to say goodbye to my Italian professor, Sara, Margarita, and Alessandra all people who have been such a huge part of my life, and family here in Sansepolcro. I finally saw Italian snow and managed to win my first card game against an Italian, something I was convinced wasn’t possible. I was able to say goodbye to all of the high school students who have become our friends and to Fabrizio, one of my favorite people here in all of Italy. Goodbyes are always hard and leave me wishing for only more time, but if anything it was an amazing day.

Sunday was another cold day further reminding me that I never thought Italy could be this frigid. After a coffee (my last time at Fabrizio’s cafĂ©) and some more clothes to keep warm I was ready to spend my last day out in the streets of Sansepolcro. I took my mom to the Civic Museum and the Aboca museum and tried to soak in every detail about Sansepolcro possible. I am still in denial that I am actually leaving tomorrow morning and just thinking about the fact that I have to leave is heart wrenching. I have had a semester of a life time visiting new places, meeting new people that I can now call my friends, and even a little studying. I know that being here has changed me in so many ways, and some I don’t even know. I will cherish all of my memories forever. Now on to my next adventure…. Two weeks traveling the entire length of Italy!

No comments:

Post a Comment