Thursday, December 2, 2010

“An Italian Thanksgiving”

So far in Italy I have had the pleasure of experiencing two holidays that are very typical and important in the United States. First was Halloween, which was completely different than my normal American Halloween but was fun with the added Italian twist. Second was the Thanksgiving dinner that Meredith College put on for the students and many of those important to us in Sansepolcro. I have never been more thankful for everything that has happened than when celebrating this holiday that is so strange to native Italians. For the last three months I have been completely and enthusiastically enjoying every moment in Italy, but how much I have learned, and experienced didn’t hit home until Thanksgiving dinner.

The whole event started on Wednesday evening when four of us, Molly, Emma, Katy, and I, volunteered to make pumpkin pies for the next day. Little did we know that this pie making event would turn into a giant party that involved music and making homemade pie crusts. We worked as quickly as possible to make sure everyone at the dinner would be able to try the classic American dessert. The team work that went into the pies was incredible. I was mixing the dough, Molly was weighing butter, and Katy and Emma were helping make the filling and every other task that was needed. Somehow we managed to make five pumpkin pies in less than two hours! The task, if you can even call something that fun a task, flew by due to loud music, lots of laughter, and an amazing time. We are often made fun of in the palazzo because we are the “crazy girls” who are constantly finishing each other’s sentences, giving piggy-back rides, singing at the top of our lungs or found curled up together on a sofa, and this night was no exception. It cannot hurt to add that we were also extremely productive with our pie making skills.

The Thanksgiving festivities continued on Thursday with me helping make the sweet potatoes topped with marshmallows (I think the trend was for me to help with all the yellow/orange colored food). Thanksgiving dinner was held in the Servi and it was beautiful. The walk down the hall was filled with candles, trees, pomegranates, persimmons, and cornucopias filled with fruit. The dining area was cozy filled with long tables and elegant place settings. As the guests started to file in I was positioned outside greeting everyone and helping them with their coats. Dinner was interesting to say the least. Katy and I ended up at what most Americans would call the children’s table, which proved similar to dinner and a show. There were about ten children at my table and since there was some time between the different dishes they became restless. Soon after the appetizers I began to feel small hands on my feet and hear little voices coming out from under the table. The children would crawl all over under the table and also found a pillar with a ledge for jumping off. The little corner where I was seat ended up being the perfect spot for all of the children to congregate and run around. Another fun part about being near the children was watching them make their hand turkeys, another new American tradition that is now incorporated into Thanksgiving here in Sansepolcro through the Thanksgiving tree.

This Thanksgiving I seemed especially thankful. I am thankful that I have been able to spend my last three months in one of the most amazing places. I am thankful for Sansepolcro which has welcomed me in with open arms. I am thankful for all the new friends I have made here in Italy and who continue to show me a good time out and about. I am thankful for every kind Italian who has in one way or another helped me out, and- trust me- it is a long list. I am also thankful for my family and my friends because honestly I don’t know how I could ever live without them. This semester here in Italy has sealed my friendships in ways I don’t think I even know. All I can say is when we are apart for five minutes the world actually seems to stop. I am so incredibly thankful that I have spent a semester in Italy but with my thankfulness comes also the selfish thought of why can I not just stay a little longer! Sansepolcro has become my second home and I dearly love it here. Not to worry, I am determined that I will come back and visit, and everyone I have met here is welcomed to come visit me in good ol’ North Carolina. Y’all come on down, ya hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment